Saturday, August 9, 2008

ultimate movie geek gift: last exit to nowhere shirts

Need gift ideas for your cinephile friend? Look no further. Check out Last Exit to Nowhere for geektastic t-shirts that boast top-notch designs referencing some of cinema's greatest movies. I bought a Ludovico (A Clockwork Orange) shirt, except yellow on dark brown, and it's a high quality shirt. I was really impressed with the quality. They are based in the UK, so shirts are roughly $30 plus shipping, which isn't too bad. The only bad part is waiting a full two weeks for the shirt to arrive. Below are some highlights, but the site has a lot more to offer. Sadly, though, they only have a few shirts available in women's sizes.

From The Godfather, Part II

From Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind

Kubrick love! Clockwise from top left: Robocop, A Clockwork Orange,
The Shining, 2001: A Space Odyssey

From Blade Runner

From Alien

4 comments:

dying alone said...

Ahh, so you're a Blade Runner fan... riddle me this: what's with the origami?

Goddessdster said...

Are you referring to the unicorn, or the signifigance of origami in general?

I don't know if I believe Deckard is a replicant, as alluded to in the DC of the movie, as I know Dick intended for him to be human in order to further blur the lines between what is human and what isn't (that a replicant would save a human's life, that a human would fall in love with a replicant). I like the open interpretation.

To me, the origami represents a touch of the old ways in light of a world that has lost touch, too involved in technology as a means to move humanity forward. When one lives in a world in which humans create replicants of themselves and are then threatened by them, the origami remains a symbolic touch of that core of humanness we each carry within us in such a world.

Gaff left the unicorn for Deckard (I believe) to remind him to keep in touch with his own search for identity, that his dreams are important--a grounding of Deckard's humanity.

Of course, Ridley Scott said it was his intention all along to present Deckard as a replicant, so my interpretation is nothing more than my opinion.

dying alone said...

You know, that's exactly what I thought it meant -- after looking through various theories about it online, that is. That's the one theory that, cinematically, makes the most sense. And then the Director's Cut came out...

I read an interview with Harrison Ford who said that Ridley Scott told him to play Deckard as a human. So I'm inclined to ignore the DC and go with my initial thoughts on the "original." 25 years later, the director can't just change his mind and go, "Wouldn't it be interesting to make a completely different movie..." The DC is like the bizarro version of the original. It doesn't add to the original release; it changes it completely. So I ignore it because having Deckard as a human is much more interesting...

Goddessdster said...

I was actually lucky enough to see both versions in the theater. I was a little too young to appreciate the original release, and the DC appealed to me mostly because I don't like voice overs in general. So I've always been torn. Bottom line though, is what I take out of it personally, which is that it's a beautiful fucking movie that touches upon themes that always get to the heart of me.

While I do get annoyed with director's cuts, mostly because I now see them as a means to make even more money through DVD sales, I also understand how some directors don't get that final say in the theatrical cut of what should be their movie. So I shrug my shoulders and read a book.