Thursday, September 11, 2008

phD comics: visiting CERN

As most of you are probably aware, I really loved the idea that the Large Hadron Collider could potentially create a black hole that kills all of us. I like this idea much better than the human race being wiped out by war. Man vs. Man is not nearly as interesting as Science vs. Man, and I would hope that, if we are destroyed, it is due to our thirst for knowledge and not due to our greedy and selfish tendencies. So from PhD Comics (click on the images to enlarge them):




My favorite part? "Don't blow up... don't blow up..."

And now for my website obsessions of the moment:
www.hasthelhcdestroyedtheearth.com
www.hasthelargehadroncolliderdestroyedtheworldyet.com
I keep checking back every day, wondering if the two websites will ever differ...

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

ME TOO! I was really intrigued with the thought that we could suddenly blip out of existance.

It made for an exciting Wednesday, anyway.

dying alone said...

Haha, actually, it probably wouldn't be so sudden. Depending on the size of the black hole, it's more likely that we'll be stretched apart by the gravitational pull of the center of the black hole. You'd be ripped apart, and you most likely be conscious of it while it's happening. Still, I prefer this way over nuclear war.

But if it's not by a black hole... my second preference is by A.I. What would be better than our own arrogance revolting and kicking our asses? Mary Shelley already covered this, folks. Don't mess with artificial intelligence!