Saturday, February 7, 2009

gaeta's lament


I'm taking Gaeta's death a bit harder than I could have predicted. I really identified with him... he acted on principle... and I find Gaeta's lament on a loop in my head...
Alone she sleeps in the shirt of man
With my three wishes clutched in her hand
The first that she be spared the pain
That comes from a dark and laughing rain
When she finds love may it always stay true
This I beg for the second wish I made too
But wish no more
My life you can take
To have her please just one day wake

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I remember Allessandro from my days at the McGill music faculty. He was a very nice, normal guy with a wonderful kind of baritone voice that belied his small-ish frame. He sang baroque music at the time, in my girlfriend's choir. It was funny to hear him sing in this episode - all cramped up, in pain; sweaty, lying on his back, near the end - not exactly the ideal conditions for proper vocal technique - something constantly stressed by many a prof at good ol' McGill. I love how years of work on "proper" technique go out the window when a talented actor eschews classical convention for musicality and character, which, in this instance was required - and bang on.

dying alone said...

Haha, that's fantastic. But, in a way, the "improperness" of this vocal technique (laying in the bed) really works well for the scene. It's amazing that his voice sounds so beautiful even though there's still a strong current of pain running throughout.