Sunday, February 1, 2009

love for freaks and geeks

I am finally done watching the entirety of Freaks and Geeks, and I have to say, it's honestly one of the best programs I've watched in a long time. Sports Night was well written, but some of the character interactions seemed gimmicky and the relationships forced. Leverage, on the other hand (which I do recommend to anyone who hasn't seen it yet), has fantastic characters, but the episodic narratives leave room for improvement. And with Coupling, the episode-long set-ups are great, but I often times find myself waiting impatiently for the end to roll around, just so I know what the thematic punchline is. With Freaks and Geeks, however, it's a-generic, existing somewhere between nostalgic drama and comedy, a commentary on the present as well as the past. I don't have the time to go through each individual episode (why when Alan Sepinwall has already done it so thoroughly?), but below are some of my favorite parts to this painfully entertaining show -- painful in its honesty, entertaining in its accuracy.

(Unfortunately, some of my favorite "moments" are entire episodes -- like "We've Got Spirit," "The Garage Door," and "Dead Dogs and Gym Teachers," and I can't very well post entire episodes on here. You know what? Do yourself a favor and just go out and buy the show. It's only eighteen episodes, and you'll thank me when you're done.)


Coach Fredericks tries to find out who's been prank calling him.


Bill Haverchuck (Martin Starr) defines awesome.


Daniel (James Franco) explains the three tracks of high school.


"As I pulled the reigns of the horse, she pulled the reigns of her soul."
Possibly the best worst song ever.

No comments: