Saturday, June 28, 2008

disney trivia


I love Walt Disney World, despite myself. The cartoons perpetuate and misrepresent stereotypes of race and gender, and the parks are designed for children. But I love it. And now, to shed light on my love for Disney, I found Disney World Trivia, where I spent the last couple of hours. The following are attractions I found particularly interesting:

Spaceship Earth -- I never paid attention to how detailed the scenes were. And the geodesic sphere weighs as much as much as 158,000,000 golf balls!
Big Thunder Mountain -- It cost $17M to make in 1979, which is how much it cost to build all of Disneyland in 1955! And scroll down to the bottom for the story reveal (I didn't know the ride had a story either). Here's a hint: it involves greedy miners and Indian spirits!
General EPCOT/Epcot Trivia -- The park's name is no longer capitalized, meaning it's no longer an acronym. It stood for Experimental Prototype Community of Tomorrow!
Star Tours -- Really? Pee Wee Herman?

I wish they would build Old-School Disney, a theme-park dedicated to rides of Disney's past. They could still be labeled as E-rides! And they could bring back Mr. Toad's Wild Ride!

No comments: