Tuesday, July 22, 2008

film news: late july 2008


Cinematical has posted a new Cinematical 7: actors who should play siblings. I used to confuse Frances O'Connor with Embeth Davidtz (in Mansfield Park I couldn't tell them apart), but lately I think the former has more similarities with Mary-Louise Parker, namely the eyes and nose. While I tend to agree with its author, Jeff Anderson -- Nicole Kidman and Naomi Watts would make fantastic sisters -- I just can't see Christian Bale and Samantha Morton being related. I do agree that there are celebs who look alike (Brad Pitt and Benecio del Toro) but wouldn't necessarily have good sibling chemistry and that mannerisms should count as much as looks (Jack Nicholson and Christian Slater could be a father-son duo). Anderson's bit at the end about the "Dermots" is hilarious and I will have to adopt that term into my vernacular.

I found the trailer for the BSG-prequel Caprica over at Film Junk, but I've embedded it below. Truth be told, I'm a little disappointed in it. How many times does Eric Stoltz talk about creating a clone of a dead daughter? Umm, too many. This idea has been covered before, most notably in Spielberg's A.I., so I wanted to see more about character relations (apparently the cast is going to be as big as BSG's, which is certainly a plus) and plot. I don't mind being grounded and out of space battle, and I'm looking forward to finding out about the creation and evolution of the Cylons. But I just wish there was more to the trailer. There wasn't even a good teaser to bring me back wanting more. I'm not sure Caprica will bring in viewers other than previous BSG fans...


I saw The Dark Knight on Tuesday afternoon (with a surprisingly well-behaved theater), but I won't have my review (re: interpretation, analysis) of it until Thursday. But if you're looking for some reviews and you're not entirely exhausted by all the reviews floating around in cyberspace, you can head over to Row Three because everyone over there reviewed it. And the reviews are all condensed to one page! How convenient.

So here's my most recent WTF? moment: Fergie (aka Black Eyed Peas chick, aka strangest looking woman with the hottest boyfriend, aka peed her pants on stage, aka why is she famous again?) has joined Daniel Day-Lewis, Marion Cotillard, Judi Dench, Nicole Kidman, Penelope Cruz and Kate Hudson for The Nine. (Yeah, I don't know about Kate Hudson either.) Other than these last two additions, the film sounded amazing. It's a film adaptation of the musical inspired by Fellini's 8 1/2 (Otto e Mezzo). But now the cast is just getting silly. Daniel Day-Lewis is enough of a draw, as is Marion Cotillard (so beautiful, so talented) who won Best Actress last year. So why all of the additional big names? Why can't they hire theatre actors? People who don't need to be taught how to sing.


Last but certainly not least, there're talks of making a Top Gun sequel. I have odd mixed feelings about this. On the one hand, a sequel could be refreshing since it's been 22 years since the first one and Maverick is such an iconic character that it could be turned into a franchise. But on the other hand, I'm sick of remakes and sequels, and do we really need another franchise? I think summer superheroes have that covered. Oh, and I think the sequel would taint the homosexual goodness of the original.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

A Top Gun sequel would be ridiculous. It was a movie of the 80s through and through. I can't ever imagine Tom Cruise agreeing to it. At least not before a Risky Business sequel!! ha ha

dying alone said...

As much as I love Tony Stark, has there ever been a better pompous ass represented in film? One that is enjoyable to watch and relatable? We all see a bit of ourselves in Maverick, and yet we want him to fail so he can see the error of his ways. He's such a fantastic character.

And why wouldn't you want to bring back the Iceman? Maybe the sequel should be Val Kilmer... in a towel... biting at people for two hours. I'd watch that.