Monday, July 14, 2008

hell is other people


TheMovieBlog.com wrote a piece called How Do You Handle Rude People in a Movie Theatre?. I have to admit, I'm a bit in love with the writer, John. For the most part, I always agree with what he says, and after reading his list of things that annoy him at the movies, I have come to the conclusion that I have been afraid to admit to myself for so long.

If I go to the movies, I should expect to be annoyed by other people.
L'enfer, c'est les autres, after all.

I think that people should be aware of their surroundings and, more importantly, of how they affect other people around them. I think that people should view movie-going as an experience rather than just a thing to do on a Friday night. I think that people should care about film as an art form and be respectful (and quiet!) as they watch a movie that someone put a lot of time and effort into creating. I think people should be extra quiet while watching Indie flicks. I think people should not eat or drink during the movies (which I think is the largest contributor to American obesity besides fast food, but that's another post). And I think people can and should be able to miss a phone call. Movies are two hours; what can people not wait to talk about?

But despite these hopes... these ambitious and foolish dreams... I also think that people are inherently selfish and rude creatures. I think people are capable of being better, but I think people are too lazy to want to grow as individuals. People want selfish benefits, not the greatest good for the greatest number of people.

So... I'm just going to assume that people will act unacceptably in the movie theater and I'll just have to, well, accept it. Which means -- attention studio execs -- I will not be going to the movies as often. And certainly not on the weekends.

No comments: