Wednesday, July 16, 2008

tv show anticipation


Project Runway premieres tonight on Bravo (its last season for the network), and I'm incredibly excited. I was a PR latecomer but am now proud to board any reality show train that brings "fierce" into my catch phrase vernacular. Plus, and I think everyone would agree with me, Tim Gunn is the coolest person ever. Bravo really understands how to produce a reality show well, and the hour-long show spends as much time on developing personalities as it does on developing designs. All of the characters are interesting and unique (the snowflake paradox -- how can everyone be unique? -- doesn't work with such a small group, so they actually are unique), and I always have an opinion on each of the characters. (You can read little snippets about the fifth season designers here). I enjoy watching them process their designs, which is one area where most other shows fail. I like to see how they conceive of their designs. I'm a bit worried about the show being half-ass this season because I think Bravo feels screwed over (when really the show was screwed over by Bravo), but we'll see. And I recommend people check out BloggingProjectRunway, a good blog for opinions about the show.

All this premiere excitement (including this Friday's Monk and Psyche has me thinking about the upcoming fall and spring shows. I'm looking forward to...


Fringe: J.J. Abrams's fourth TV series (following Felicity, Alias, and Lost, all of which I love), and imdb.com says it is "a television drama centered around a female FBI agent who is forced to work with an institutionalized scientist in order to rationalize a brewing storm of unexplained phenomena." Oh, and it stars Pacey Witter, who stole my heart a few years ago. It premieres September 9.

Virtuality: From the Hollywood Reporter:
[Virtuality] is set aboard the Phaeton, Earth's first starship. It revolves around its crew of 12 astronauts on a 10-year journey to explore a distant solar system. To help them endure the long trip and keep their minds occupied, NASA has equipped the ship with advanced virtual-reality modules, allowing the crew members to assume adventurous identities and go to any place they want. The plan works flawlessly until a mysterious "bug" is found in the system.
"It's very much about what's fantasy and what's reality; what we do to escape our lives and what actually institutes our lives; are these things very different," [Universal] president Katherine Pope said.
Ron D. Moore's new show stars Nikolaj Coster-Waldau (from the cancelled show Amsterdam). He was underused on that show, even as the main character, which explains why it was cancelled so I hope his Virtuality character is more interesting. Also, as much as I love BSG, I'm curious to see if Moore can create another decent show and prove that BSG isn't just a lucky fluke. Nevermind that he has Star Trek on his resume. And Fox Entertainment's Kevin Reilly says that it has a unique point view and is excited about the premise, which makes me believe (hope) that it goes beyond the two-line plot delivery. You can get details about the show here.

Caprica: No brainer. BSG-extended.


The Dollhouse: Two words. Joss. Whedon. That's really all you really need to know. What's not to love? Themes of cloning, identity, human nature, purpose, and another kickass Whedon heroine? He knows strong female leads better than anyone, and everything he touches is gold. It premieres sometime in the spring, and it is the show I'm looking the most forward to.

No comments: