Friday, August 22, 2008

crazy 4 cult 2: an art show of awesome proportions

And now for something completely different...


This poster is the awesomest awesome that ever awesomed (click to enlarge, then click it again for super enlargement). It's apparently an an art show called "Crazy 4 Cult" where over 100 artists reinterpret classic cult movies, and this is the promotional poster. If you live in LA and love movies, I definitely think this show is worth going to. I would certainly geek-out at every turn. Here's the show's information:
August 22nd - September 12th
Gallery1988

7020 Melrose Ave., Los Angeles, CA 90038
(South East corner of Melrose & LaBrea)
As for the promotional poster... there are really only a few that I could really recognize, but those few tickle me with goodness. Dr. Frankenstein and his monster (and Igor) are in the bottom right branch. Dr. Strangelove is, of course, riding the bomb. Spinal Tap (!!!) is on the left, on a middle branch. 2001 is represented by Bowman is the red space suit in the middle of the tree. I like that the Ewoks (far upper right) are surrounded by the villains of cinema, like Freddy Krueger, a Gremlin (!!!), and Edward Scissorhands (who's not evil but is definitely a threat in the "accidental decapitation" category). Willy Wonka is talking to Holly Golightly in the middle of tree, and to the right of them are Godzilla and the Iron Giant having, what I presume to be, a very interesting conversation. But my favorite reference... Greeto and Han Solo are at the very top. And you know what? Han shot first.

Thanks to my über-hip father for sending this to me!

No comments: