Tuesday, December 30, 2008

mcsweeneys.net: fifty years of songs condensed into one sentence


This is a Mcsweeney's post back from November, but I'll be darned if I don't laugh every time I read it. From the mind of Mark Haynes comes Fifty Popular Songs Condensed into Single Sentences (only a select few are included below, so click on the link for the full list).

The Beatles, "I Want to Hold Your Hand"
I want to do it with you.

James Blunt, "You're Beautiful"
I want to do it with you.

Sir Mix-a-Lot, "Baby Got Back"
I want to do it.

Elvis Presley, "Hound Dog"
You're doing it with everyone.

Patsy Cline, "Crazy"
I want to do it with you so much I'm going fucking nuts.

Frank Sinatra, "Strangers in the Night"
I'm drunk and I want to do it with you.

Carly Simon, "You're So Vain"
We used to do it, but then you did it with someone else, and now I'm not going to do it with you, although I wish we were still doing it.

Radiohead, "Creep"
I'm filled with self-loathing, and, though outwardly I hate everything you represent, I want to do it with you.

Bob Dylan, "Blowin' in the Wind"
The Man is currently doing it to you.

Céline Dion, "My Heart Will Go On"
Even your death has not stopped me wanting to do it with you.

AC/DC, "You Shook Me All Night Long"
We did it yesterday.

No comments: